Employment at Andover Newton
This page lists current regular, part-time, and limited contract positions currently open at Andover Newton Theological School.
Positions open specifically to matriculated Andover Newton students are listed on the Student and Alumni/ae Job Board. Positions open at contracted services on campus, including dining services, will generally be listed with those organizations corporate websites.
Currently Available Position(s)
Full-Time Joint Faculty Position for a Muslim Scholar/Community Educator
Job Description: This is a full-time appointment for a Muslim Scholar/Community Educator to work with students at Hebrew College and Andover Newton Theological School as part of their religious formation for a multi-religious world. This is a three-year, non-tenured appointment by the presidents of Hebrew College and Andover Newton Theological School (in consultation with an advisory group that includes participation from Jewish, Christian and Muslim scholars/educators). Beyond faculty teaching responsibilities, this position includes working in partnership with the co-directors of the Center for Interreligious and Communal Leadership Education (CIRCLE) on academic and community-based initiatives as well as contributing to a broader vision of interreligious leadership formation.
Accountability and Review: The Muslim Scholar/Community Educator will serve each institution with equal time. The Dean of the Faculty at Andover Newton will be the formal supervisor to this position, coordinating her or his task description, contract, and performance evaluation.
- Teach courses for both Andover Newton and Hebrew College students on Islam as well as topics related to understanding and negotiating religious differences
- Participate in designing and implementing CIRCLE programs
- Participate in the academic and extra-curricular life of each school as negotiated with each dean of faculty
- Develop initiatives focused on community building with institutions and individuals in the greater Boston area to expand CIRCLE programming
- Continue to engage in scholarly research, writing, and presentations related to relevant academic areas
Applicant Requirements: The successful applicant must have completed a terminal degree, preferably a Ph.D., in Islamic studies or a related area. Three to five years teaching experience in higher education, seminary, rabbinical school, or Islamic leadership training program contexts are preferable. Because the interreligious course offerings at Hebrew College and Andover Newton are rooted in a model of co-teaching, some experience with joint teaching is a plus. Community engagement and active participation in the Muslim community are also essential.
To Apply: Please send:
- A cover letter outlining your qualifications and interest in the position
- Your Curriculum Vitae
- List two references we can contact – one that can speak to your academic qualifications and one that can speak to your community engagements.
The deadline for applications is December 6, 2013.