Director, Center for Muslim Life, Duke University
Division of Student Affairs
Job Title: Director, Center for Muslim Life
Job Code/Level/Family: Current – 1435/13/28
Unit/Department: Campus Life
Supervisor: Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs for Campus Life
Position Status: Full-time, exempt, regular
Staff Supervision: Assistant Director (1); Staff Assistant (1); students (various)
Nature of the Work and Responsibilities
The Director of the Center of Muslim Life at Duke provides leadership and oversight of support services and programming that responds to the cultural and social adjustment of Muslim students at Duke. Through advocacy, development, and coordination of cultural, educational, and social programs and activities, the Center for Muslim Life seeks to create an environment that promotes a rich cross-cultural experience for the Duke University campus community. The Director reports to the Assistant Vice President for Campus Life in the Division of Student Affairs and works closely with other Campus Life directors as well as with the Associate Dean for Religious Life. The Director manages the budget and operations for the Center and supervises a staff of two full-time employees and work-study students.
- Provide vision, leadership, and operational oversight for the development, implementation, and assessment of activities and programs for the Center of Muslim Life.
- Establish and implement an effective organizational structure. Engage in supervisory activities including, but not limited to, recruiting, performance appraisals, mediation, and staff development.
- Oversee daily operations of Center for Muslim Life with attention to effective business processes and use of technology for improving delivery and evaluation of programs and services.
- Oversee management of Muslim Center facility including scheduling, maintenance, and upgrades.
- Determine needs and project resource requirements to prepare annual budget proposal.
- Monitor financial operations including expense approvals, monthly reconciliation of expenditures, and preparation of variance reports.
- Ensure that appropriate segregation of duties is maintained as well as adherence to Division and University financial policies and protocols.
- Prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress and/or adverse trends for appropriate recommendations.
- Development and oversee implementation of an effective communications strategy including, but not limited to, print materials and websites that describe and promote interest in activities, programs,and services sponsored by Center for Muslim Life.
- Provide coaching and advising to individual students, student groups, and organizations and serve as advocate for the Muslim student community by examining policies, procedures, and practices and making recommendations for changes to ensure cross-cultural adjustment and retention.
- Provide primary oversight for organizing religious functions.
- Serve on University and division-wide committee and groups that monitor issues related to Muslim-related matters.
- Provide training/educational outreach to the University at large.
- Represent the University at state and regional level of Muslim-related organizations.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Work requires communications, organizational, and analytical skills generally acquired through completion of a Master’s Degree program and four years of relevant experience and a strong commitment to and understanding of the needs and concerns of Muslim students. An earned doctorate and a record of progressive work experience, including staff supervision, Muslim life issues and services strongly preferred. Experience living in cultures different from the United States is desirable.
Specific Skills and Competencies
- Expertise in delivering program and education services to Muslim student population.
- Experience developing and managing a cultural center or similar facility.
- Experience in the use of technology for improving the delivery and evaluation of programs and services.
- Knowledge of appropriate financial procedures and practices in a university setting.
- Demonstrated success in staff recruitment, development, and retention.
- Outstanding oral, written, and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Ability to negotiate and resolve multiple complex problems in a timely manner.
- High level planning and organizational skills are required.
Apply online at the Duke University Human Resources site.